My Top Secret Project: Pt. 3 – Planning

February 4th, 2015 Permalink

I printed out a full scale drawing on a bunch of 8.5″x11″ paper. Everything looked pretty good to me, except, I had to make a few minor adjustments around the neck pocket area. Also, because of the extended fretboard, I had to move the neck pickup back about a 3/16″. I’m hoping that the placement […]

I printed out a full scale drawing on a bunch of 8.5″x11″ paper. Everything looked pretty good to me, except, I had to make a few minor adjustments around the neck pocket area. Also, because of the extended fretboard, I had to move the neck pickup back about a 3/16″. I’m hoping that the placement of the neck pickup won’t be super crucial.

I have a few things on my desk to finish up today, but hopefully I’ll have some time to print out another round and glue the paper to a sheet of MDF.

Here’s a picture of my printouts. Please excuse the horrible cell-phone-in-low-light image.

Then, I got started on the main template. First, I pasted my printouts to the MDF. Here’s proof that Super 77 is my best friend.

Next, I used a hole saw to create some entry points. I don’t know that this was a necessary step of if I was using the right too for the job. All that I do know is that in the greater lexicon of human endeavor, MDF dust ranks pretty high amongst the most evil things know to man. Wear your dust mask, people! This stuff is a toxic mess of knarly carcinogens!

Here I am making more relief cuts. I don’t have the luxury of a band saw, so I’m jigsawing it, baby!

I got a little overzealous with my relief cuts – gonna have to do a little bit of sanding here…

Further proof that Super 77 is my friend… the square on the left is a nice piece of foam rubber. Great for sanding the convex edges.

Making sure that the edge is square all the way around. This is crucial!

And a comet is born…

So all in all everything went OK. The only “blunder” was that I tore the paper off before scribing the center line. Not a huge fix, but more of a nuisance than anything. I had my perfect, computer-generated center line all ready to go, but I managed to thwart my own well-laid plan!

Tomorrow I’m going work on squaring the edges a little more and refining a couple of the curves. Next step is probably going to be the purchase of an inexpensive router. I’m going to use this template to create the body cavity/neck pocket template. Theoretically, the router will expedite the process, and I’ll get a little practice wielding a piece of sharp, spinning machinery.

Leave a Reply