Pickup Winding Obsession – My New Machine – Pt. 2

October 8th, 2016 Permalink

More terrible low-light images… Here’s my rough traverse idea. Right now, I’m just setting the number of steps that it travels then reverses over and over again. I’ll polish it up step by step as I keep moving along with it. There’s a lot of kinks to work out, but the concept is there. The […]

More terrible low-light images…

Here’s my rough traverse idea. Right now, I’m just setting the number of steps that it travels then reverses over and over again. I’ll polish it up step by step as I keep moving along with it. There’s a lot of kinks to work out, but the concept is there.

The next step is to build a chassis for the machine and start building the winder. Once I put that together, I have to figure out how to control the stepper speed based on the winding speed. The optical tach I built last week is going to play a crucial role in that process.

On a side note, here’s a picture of me rockin’ the burro at rehearsal last night. Our singer snapped the photo. A few weeks ago, I wound a couple of coils using an A8 magnet instead of the ceramics I’ve been using. I have to say that I’m pleased so far and I’ve scrapped my original plan of working with C8 magnets. Like the ceramics, the A8’s have a lot of output, but without the aggressive brightness. If anything, they sort of emphasize a more aggressive mid-range while having a nicely rounded top end. They have plenty of well-defined low-end, but they’re not as “tight” sounding as the ceramics. From what I’ve read, the A8 can make a really strong, middy and bassy pickup that losing definition. Sounds perfect for my bridge pickup! We’ll see – on my first tester, I definitely did a pretty mellow wind count. Once I finish my new winder, I’ll start messing around with upping the winds considerably.

Leave a Reply