Seven years after it’s first printing, I decided that it was time to print and bind the second edition of my first book, Freekmagnet. The first edition was printed in a run of 40 in 2005 by my friend Elli at Paperlily and was spiral bound. She did a great job and I managed to sell almost all of them – I gave one or two away.
I wanted the second edition to have a different look and have a more finished binding, so I did a search and found a great tutorial on paperback bookbinding at PersistenceUnlimited.com. I was shocked by how easy bookbinding could be – in fact the hardest part was finding a cool paper stock for the cover! I set up the type and the layout in InDesign and spent an evening or two parked in front of my Epson printer printing the pages for the book. I built a little clamping jig with some scrap wood and glued the spine together. Overall, the results are fantastic!
I’m pretty lousy at creating on-line tutorials, but I have posted a few images of the process below.
This copy is a prototype for a run of Freekmagnet books I will be doing soon. I will be selling them, but be warned – they will not be cheap! These are really beautiful books and take a lot of time and expensive materials to produce. I haven’t figured out my actual costs yet, but I will be asking at least $85. Hopefully, I will be shooting some better product photos later today (I’m sick and I should be in bed ), so stay tuned if you want to see some nicer pictures of the finished first copy of the second edition of Freekmagnet.